Monday, June 18, 2012

Potty training=the worst!

Well, we're still alive...barely!  I'm going to do kind of an in depth recap so I can have this for when it's time to do this with baby #2 but oh my gosh I think I'd rather sleep train 10 babies before potty training again!  Most of this post is detailed and will be really boring for 99% of anyone reading.  Feel free to move right along. 

We did this method which is actually a very good method...it just sucks to do.  It is SUCH a boring 3 days.  I haven't left the house (except for going in the backyard) for 3 entire days...OMG! 

The part that stinks is that you can't even let them play somewhere else while you do projects or whatever.  You have to be RIGHT by their side to catch the mistakes.  It was actually fun to spend this much 1 on 1 (1 on 2) time with Ethan but in any other weekend, we'd have trips to places, rides around the neighborhood, park trips etc.  This is just staying inside (we did venture to the backyard on day 3).

I got lots of high fiber foods for Ethan and he drank a million juice waters.  He was lovin it.  We were ready with little toys every time he'd get 7 stickers for going on the potty and he'd also get a few M&M's every time he went which he really liked.  I have 15 pairs of underwear.

Since we are getting new flooring next Monday we decided to switch the living and dining rooms and made the dining room our playroom as that carpet is going to be ripped out soon. 

Here's Ethan coming down the stairs with his last diaper on holding his big boy 'Cars' underwear.  Sniff sniff.  I was actually kind of sad to change his last diaper!

Last diaper pic.  It had a poop in it...sorry!


Little tush!


Day 1 was the hardest as he was just starting to 'get it'.  He had accidents at 9:45a and 9:55a (I felt like I was preparing for a newborn...keeping track of all of this!).  He would then start to go in his underwear and we'd rush to the potty.  He finally got it at 10:05, 10:10, 11:25, 11:45, 12:45 and 4:50.  He pooped in his diaper right before we started (after breakfast) and didn't go again for the whole day!  Naptime was actually ok!  That night he went to bed in his underwear (with this underneath).  You're supposed to have them pee an hour after falling asleep and an hour before waking but he had just gone before bed.  At 3am I checked on him and he was SOAKED.  I woke him up, put him on the potty and he didn't have to go.  Changed his little under sheet, jammies and underwear.  Man, he is a chatty boy at 3am asking for M&M's and stickers!  Eric checked on him at 5am to see if he had to go and he didn't have to but was also very chatty telling him about his day at Sea World with Kendall!  He was dry. 




We watched some Bubble Guppies to pass the time but mostly it was playing with toys non stop!  Eric and I are both SOOOO sick of saying "Ethan, tell us when you have to go potty, ok?"  Every 5 minutes sometimes.


 Day 2 was getting better but at 9am he pooped in his underwear.  He hadn't done his afternoon poop from the day before so I'm sure he was uncomfortable.  He went pee on the potty at 9:05, and at 9:30 he started going in his underwear and finished on the potty.  He went successfully on the potty at 10:45 and 11:15.  At 11:50 he pooped on the potty!!!!  Big deal for sure!  I can't remember but I think he was dry for this nap too.  When he woke up it's like he had a nightmare that there was a monster in the toilet or something because he was FREAKING out.  Clinging onto me while peeing at the same time, yet he wouldn't sit on the toilet.  It was so strange.  This was at 3:45.  He finally went on the potty while crying.  He also peed successfully at 5pm and went in the bathtub at 7pm.  At 8pm after we had left the room he was crying so hard because one of his 'beep beeps' had fallen behind his new bed (post for another time) and he couldn't get it.  He was screaming for daddy to get it so Eric finally went in and got it and Ethan had completely wet himself.  At 11pm right before we went to bed we agreed that we were going to screw the night time underwear and put him in an overnight diaper.  So I changed him at 11pm into a diaper.  I mean if I were sleeping 11 straight hours, I'd have to pee too.  How can we expect him too?  The method states to NOT do this as it's confusing but really?  Whatever, it works for us.  Once I go through the Huggies night diapers I'll get Pull Up type underwear for him.  This took a lot of pressure off.


Here's Ethan admiring his sticker chart



Day 3 he woke up to the diaper on, but had no clue.  He just wants to play.  Win for us!  He peed at 7:20 and 9am on the potty.  At 9:20 he pooped again on the potty!!!  At 10:45 and 12:20 more successful pees.  He will wear underwear during nap still and was again dry.  He tried after nap but didn't go.  At 3:30  he finally went a little and again at 4:45.  He may have gone while in the shower tonight...or in the diaper...not sure. 



Overall, he's doing really good!  We'll see how daycare goes tomorrow.  He'll be sent with lots of changes of clothes and extra underwear!

I bought this POS chair a while ago and it's AWFUL!!! It gets pee under the toilet and the guard is awful for boys.  You have to hold his penis downward so he doesn't spray everywhere.  I ordered this one and it will be here tomorrow.  I don't remember what brand ours is but we also got one of these at Home Depot after moving in and it's pretty good.  The potty chair is downstairs and this is in the bathroom right outside Ethan's room.

1 comment:

Our Adoption Journey said...

Good Job Ethan! Way to go! Nice work Mommy and Daddy!!!!