We finally closed escrow on 3/29. Our original date was 3/30 but we learned last week that the recording office was closed so we had to move the close up a day. We funded the escrow account on Monday, went back and forth with our agent and the seller's agent about some shenanigans on how he wanted to stay in the house until Friday at 5pm...then he wanted until 10pm (keep in mind we technically owned it on Thursday). We agreed to let him stay until 10pm Friday because we weren't moving anyhow and we were trying to be nice. After a VERY stressful Thursday afternoon we learned at 8pm that it finally recorded. We ALL thought it would roll over to Monday for recording which would have been awful as we had big plans for this past weekend! But...it did record and I met my agent on Friday afternoon for the key! It was kind of anticlimactic but it was great to have that shiny key in my hand!
On Saturday morning Ethan and I went to the new house to meet the Locksmith. We needed 3 doors re keyed and we learned that 2 of them were kind of corroded. Guy (the guys' name) was SO sweet and waited at the house while Ethan and I trucked to Home Depot to get new locks. Of course that nob AND finish is no longer made so we had to change it but oh well. We got back and had new keys in hand! So good to know that we are the only keyholders (especially because the place had been rented for years prior to us buying it...who knows how many keys were out there).
Meanwhile at our 'old' house, Eric metup with a handyman to swap our appliances. The new house had white ones and our old house has stainless steel. Remarkably they are all GE Profile so it was a fairly easy swap as the holes were the same. Our poor old house looks so sad with a super upgraded kitchen...except the appliances. And our new house has a super un-upgraded kitchen...except the appliances. We'll eventually replace the white tile counters and sink. Flooring will be done soon as I can't tolerate the ugly linoleum (it's even got some cuts in it and looks gross). Here's the new kitchen with our appliances (we bought a white refrigerator for the old house and the movers will be taking our SS refrigerator to this house). Here's the before and after.
I really thought the lock thing would take 15 minutes and we could go back home to change/grab warmer clothes but it took so long that we just went right to the Easter Egg hunt. San Elijo Hills has fun events like this for every major holiday and we decided to meetup with my friend Laurie and her little family. She lives just a few minutes from us. Laurie and I were roommates freshman year at USD and are Kappa sisters too! We also nanny shared for a while and Kelsey is watching Evan full time now!
Ethan was being a WILD man and was so hard to contain that morning for some reason. I didn't have Eric with me and was running around like crazy. I have no idea how I'll do it w/ him and an infant! Before the Easter egg hunt they had 3 HUGE jumpies and he got tossed around a little bit and went around and around and around and around this slide. He was in LOVE.
The Easter egg hunt started and he didn't really get it (clearly he has no eggs in his basket but wanted to see what was in the eggs). There were a lot of kids but we found a patch w/ some eggs and he got a few. Poor Evan only got 2 and Ethan shared some of his. We were in the back of the pack though so all of the 1-2 year olds got most of them. Ethan was happy thought.
I didn't know if Ethan would freak with the Easter bunny but he did ok. No tears but he definitely was ready to get off this bunny's lap.
Later that day I met with an interior decorator to finalize paint colors. The company we are using provides a free 1 hour consult. We're doing a greige (Sherwin Williams Amazing Gray) through most of the house and our master, a match of Restoration Hardware's Silver Sage in the office, laundry room and upstairs bath, SW Anonymous in the 1/2 bath and master bath (I'm going to do a stencil over the half bath instead of doing wallpaper), the boy's rooms will be Frazee White Shadow on the bottom half of the rooms and I'm doing a board and batten look and the upper half will be SW Practical Beige for Ethan and SW Dignity Blue for the nursery. For the stairs, the handrail and posts will be black and the spindles and base will be white. I'm really excited about our (my) selections. Eric doesn't care! :)
We went to the house AGAIN on Saturday after Ethan's nap to drop some stuff (including 3 new toilet seats that we will install after the painters are out--haha!) off and met a bunch of neighbors. Seriously everyone was outside hanging out and they were so friendly and walked right up to meet us and tell us the lay of the land. Seriously I think just about every house has young kids. Our neighbor across the street said that they hosted movie night in their driveway the night before until 10:30pm. Oh I just can't wait to be there and soak it up. I really like where we live now, but they are townhomes and everyone drives via the alley to their garage and shuts it right up. We play in the alley the most but not that many people do. We have a lot of couples w/ no kids or some middle aged people who have children that are grown. We do have a handful of neighbors that we are really close with but for the most part no one is overly friendly. I hope this is the change we have been looking for!
Today (Sunday) we went over to drop off some big stuff that is fragile or that is just awkward for a box (like a lot of Ethan's toys). Here is Ethan looking so excited as he found some fruit snacks that I didn't hide well enough.
Ethan running on the catwalk.
We took Chloe to the house for the first time and she was LOVING all of the space to run around.
And here is Eric measuring how big this years Christmas tree will be. Haha, ya right!
The rest of today was spent packing our kitchen food (minus what we'll need for the next week) and taking down 3 out of our 4 ceiling fans. The new house only has 3 J boxes (Ethan's room and the office don't have any). We're leaving the one in our living room.
Work tomorrow... :( All I want to do is get things rolling with this house but only 1 more week then I'm off for 3 days on the 9/10/11th. I think Eric is taking off the whole week and my Thurs/Fri aren't too bad.



No comments:
Post a Comment