Sunday, July 14, 2013

This week's update

What a busy week it has been!

Monday 7/8
Ethan is suspended AGAIN for biting a child.  It was a smaller child that just moved over from the toddler room and he apparently wasn't sharing his Legos.  That really means Ethan wanted to play and he didn't willingly give them over.  Ugg.  I talked the administrators into 2 days instead of 5 days luckily.  I called his Pediatrician to ask for help because clearly we are struggling.  She said it is totally normal (although not good) and recommended several things including a book, a children's therapist and the Redirecting Children's Behavior class (which I've already taken).  I called to inquire about retaking it, and they had one starting that night.  So off I went for the 2 1/2 hour class.  I will repeat it this Monday and the next.  She told me many other great tips on how to deal with this such as explaining that Ethan is a kinesthetic/tactile learner (as opposed to auditory or visual) and uses his body to express himself.  He can hold his shirt, stomp his foot and say "I'm mad, mad mad".  That is great in theory, but having him remember to do that in the moment is another thing.  She also recommended role playing proper behavior with stuffed animals so we are doing that each (school) night.  I called the therapist and spoke to her for 15 minutes over the phone.  She had some interesting things to say like with VERY strong willed children, that RCB method can backfire... but learning more requires an office visit.  We will revisit it if we feel it is necessary after I finish my class.  I could write for days about this subject but I just don't have the energy right now.

On Monday, my sweet Aunt Norene passed away after a 6 month battle with Pancreatic and Lung Cancer.  I saw her the weekend prior which I'm so thankful for.  She and my uncle John had been together since 1st grade so you can imagine his emptiness right now.  My heart is still breaking.
(17) John & Norene 3.31
I took this picture on Easter of this year

Tuesday 7/9
Eric had to take the day off work to be with Ethan because we nanny share at my friend Laurie's house on Tuesday's and I thought 3 kids (one of which was "in trouble") would be too much for Kelsey.  The instructor also recommended not punishing him (we'd done only books last time), but doing school at home, so that's what they did.

Luckily the rest of the week was pretty good and Ethan went back on Wednesday.

Friday 7/12
TGIF!  We celebrated our neighbor's birthday with lots of food and booze!



IMG_7537


Saturday 7/13
-Ethan and Chloe got haircuts
-I went grocery shopping with Chase to prepare for our 1st Annual Progressive Party.
-While I was shopping Eric hooked up the 'kid wash' and the kids cooled down on their bikes
-Put together some meals at Dream Dinners with my friend/neighbor Kim
-Had a blast at our Progressive Party!  My neighbor Erica suggested this a month or so ago and it was so much fun!  We plan to make this a regular event.
IMG_7578
 

IMG_9409 edit
Some of the kiddos (minus Clark & Kate)
IMG_9414 edit
The girls
IMG_9422 edit
The guys
IMG_9378 edit IMG_9358 edit
 
Sunday 7/14
We took a family walk, then I went to Pilates.  This afternoon we had our neighbors over in our front yard and fed everyone pizza for dinner.  Our side of the street gets the afternoon shade :)

Chase is getting to be a good little walker!

IMG_7609



IMG_7600
IMG_7590

No comments: