Friday, March 2, 2012

It's a....

Baby Bradford #2 is confirmed a BOY!


We had our 'big' ultrasound on Tuesday at 18 weeks 4 days and we knew within 1 minute that this baby was a 'he'. We knew this 6 weeks ago from our 12 week scan but we wanted confirmation before doing anything (well, really NOT doing anything as we have everything we need now!) All of this baby boy's measurements were great and he measured exactly on track!

The only minor thing is that he has a small spot on his heart. This is not a heart issue whatsoever and there are no major concerns. The perinatologist said she tells mom this 2-3 times a week). I'm sure I'm botching the explanation but basically in the very early stages of development when the heart is forming, cells naturally die off and escape. Sometimes they don't escape and they end up calcifying on the heart. This is a marker for Downs Syndrome BUT I have no other markers for downs and my screening results are great. After my 1st trimester ultrasound and blood test (combined w/ my age) my risk for DS is 1 in 18,000. After my 2nd trimester ultrasound and blood test my risk is 1 in 24,000 but with that soft marker it increases my risk by 10% so now my revised number is 1 in 21,600. A 0.0000462 chance. I'm not worried about it! My 1st tri results for Trisomy 18 was 1 in 2,800 and I can't remember what my revised result was yesterday but I want to say it was slightly 'worse' but not a number that is at risk by any means.

I'm over the moon excited for Ethan to have a little brother to wrestle with. I can't wait for him to teach baby brother all about his 'beep beeps' and teach him all of the construction equipment by name. Oh I just can't wait to see my crazy boys playing together. I can't believe I'm going to be a 'boy mom'! :)

Here's little peanut's foot.




And the 'boy' shot. He wasn't shy. (This is a shot as if we are looking under the baby's butt. As if he was sitting on a chair. So we see his butt and part of his thighs and the 'goods'.)



And an ok shot of his profile.



Now to decide on a name! We have a short list started but will have to narrow it down within the next few months. But for now I can dream of how to decorate this baby's nursery and Ethan's big boy room. I'm stumped! But I need to loosely figure it out before April 3rd when the painters come to the new house. Yippee!


No comments: