Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy 1st Birthday Ethan James!

  Dearest Ethan James Bradford,

For 9 long months it was just you and I.  I knew you were safe inside and I was able to spend those precious moments feeling your jabs and punches.  Listening to the doppler almost every day to make sure everything was still ok.  You were so, so wanted and what a journey it was to get you.  I had cankles galore but knew it was all for a better cause.  I wondered what you would look like, if you would be healthy, would I love you instantly, would I be a good mother.  Then one year ago exactly, at 10:48am, you were born.  You changed our lives in ways we didn't know possible. 
 
It was a good delivery thanks to the epidural and your dad's motivation!  After a mere (ha!) 3 1/2 hours of pushing you were here.  Heaven on earth.  An angel sent from God.  26 hours later, we were home!  We settled into our routine and lived in blissful chaos. 

You were such a good newborn!  We struggled a bit at the beginning discovering your dairy and soy allergy.  You weren't happy for a little while, but once we figured it out you were back to your adorable self.  I had no dairy or soy for almost 8 months, but am glad it helped!  During the beginning days I remember just listening to you breath in the crib right next to the bed.  Once you were old enough and slept through the night things got even better!  :)  I love hearing you on the monitor and snatching you up in the morning.  We've enjoyed all of your milestones (well, except the wiggle worm phase when doing diaper changes...please stop that!)....but eating solids, crawling, walking, saying mama and dada......it's the best.

The feeling of being a mother is indescribable. I've tried to explain it to a friend who was pregnant (just had her baby a week ago), and I couldn't put it into words. How can you explain this feeling of seeing the world with rose colored glasses? You can't.


I can't believe one year has come and gone.  Watching you grow has been a true joy.  You are by far the best thing your dad and I have ever done together.  We can't imagine our lives without you and you fill our hearts with such happiness.
 
Happy Birthday sweet Ethan boy.  We hope every single day of your next year is as special as this past year has been for us.  We love you sweet boy. 



“Every good and perfect gift is from above.” – James 1:17

No comments: