Saturday, August 11, 2012

Ethan: 2 and 3/4

Chase has been the star lately but we can't forget our original main attraction Ethan.  Today 8.11.12, Ethan is 2 and 3/4.  Not a huge milestone but I feel like they change so much so it will be good to document. 

Ethan is by far the MOST challenging age he has ever been right now.  I am positive a lot of the backlash is because of a certain new baby brother in the house but I swear (like today-Saturday) he has been in time out after time out after time out, testing Eric and I's patience every second of the day.  We're frustrated with him way more than we're happy with him.  It is really sad and I know "this too shall pass" but man it's challenging!  :(



-Ethan is in underwear full time except for naps and night time.  We were just doing night time but he loves to sleep RIGHT in front of the door (as opposed to his bed) and one day he peed on the carpet and not on the little pee pad on his bed so now we just do the Goodnight diaper.  He's regressed lately and has had some accidents at home and at school.  Partly because of little brother and I've heard it is just part of the natural potty training progression. 

-He is in 4T shirts/shorts and 5T pj's

-His shoe size is 10W (or XW)

-He's been doing the ABC's perfectly for months now and can count from 1-14 then skips right to 17-18-19-20.  Haha.  We're bad at working with him on that one!

-He is still a pretty good eater but is more opinionated and STUBBORN now.  We have to bribe him with his "surprise" (ice cream or fruit) and make him finish "x" (hot dogs, cucumbers etc) before he gets it.  Sometimes he says no and could care less about his surprise and sometimes when we feel like we're up for the challenge he'll stay in his hi chair for 30 minutes fighting it. 

-After school his favorite snack is a little box of yogurt raisins and a small pack of fruit snacks.   Nice n healthy!  Riiiight.

-We always pray before dinner and he puts his little hands together and closes his eyes SO tightly.  It's the cutest.

-We do bath at 6:30pm, read books by 7pm and leave his room by 7:30pm.  He usually doesn't fall asleep until 8:30pm.  This is all because of the big boy bed.  His bookshelf is now outside of his room because he would just read books for EVER (in the dark) and not go to bed.  He wakes up between 6:30 and 7.  Since Chase has come home daddy is doing the night routine.  I miss putting him to bed but I'm usually nursing or holding Chase.

-He naps from about 1pm-3pm (except for days like today where we did nothing all morning but play at home and he didn't nap :( )  At school they nap from 12:30-2ish.

-His best buds from school are Gavin, Chloe and Kendall

-He's in room 5 now at school and will be going to room 6 soon.  He will have 24 kids in the classroom, 3 teachers, a much bigger classroom, and a much bigger yard to run around in.  I'm terrified of the greater ratio yet excited to see him grow and learn.

-Ethan still likes to watch Bubble Guppies and some construction DVD's that we have.

-He loves construction equipment and calls his little Caterpillar toys 'beep beeps'. 

-As mentioned the listening is out of control.  He purposefully does exactly what you tell him not to do and it's something we haven't really had to deal with before.  Again, I'm sure some of it is wanting to get attention because Chase is always getting most of my attention, and I'm sure some of it is by example from kids at school.  And just being "almost 3" is par for the course.  3 will be way worse than 2, I have no doubt. 



Ethan is still our sweet loveable boy and I tell him "I love you" and "You make me so happy"---this, usually in the car when he is strapped in the carseat and can't disobey.  He tells me "Mom, I make you happy?" and it melts my heart.  I love him and pray that God gives me just a little bit more patience than I had the day before. 

No comments: