As usual, this decision did not come easy. I started thinking about this a few months ago and as luck would have it our nanny Michelle told us she was moving back to Texas about 2 weeks ago. This put me into hyper daycare mode! She will be going to nursing school and has orientation in August. We don't want to start Ethan in school until after our vacation in mid September because I know he will be one big sick boy! So we're letting Michelle move back a little earlier and her last day will be July 15th and Kelsey (our old nanny) will be filling in starting July 18th. We're SO glad to have her watch Ethan for a few months!
So, I heard about a daycare called Creating Gifted Children. The lady there (Miss Malicah) runs it out of her home and it was just here and there was no differentiation of ages, so Ethan would have been the youngest amongst 3 year olds. I just thought there was too much risk especially being on a VERY busy street. There was an upper latch on the door but what if it didn't get locked and Ethan or another child got out? The (small) backyard was all dirt and just had a TON of weather-beaten toys and play structures. Miss Malicah was very nice and makes healthy meals for all of the kids and everyone seemed to be happy. But from that visit I realized I wanted a daycare center.
Next I went to Olivenhain Country Preschool which is convenient on my way up from downtown but not 'as' convenient for Eric, although it isn't that far from our home. The gal was very nice and it was a very spacious 1 acre piece of land. It is a converted home that had an art studio etc. There were 2 different playgrounds and the kids were making little pots for their mom's right before Mother's Day. There was nothing wrong with this place but I wasn't wow'd.
Next I went to Bright Horizon's. The first thing that I didn't like was the location. It isn't that far out of the way but it's about 20 minutes from our house which doesn't sound long but that's 45 minutes round trip if I'm working from home or something and need to get him. And it's a little inconvenient if I'm coming from downtown. It's near this ghetto mall in Carlsbad. I kind of mentally blocked this place out because of the distance but I got a quick tour and seemed pleased by it. If it would have been closer, it would have been a contender. There are a few of these same places closer to our house but the kids have to be 2 years old and Ethan will be 22 months so we couldn't even consider it.
After that place I went to Central Montessori. I actually liked this place after leaving. I had heard Montessori but I really had no idea what the philosophies were. The owner told me how it worked and it seemed ok. After looking closer at the toys, they were all blocks and different learning things like cups and sand for texture play and different non standard toys. There were no trucks or typical toys that you'd think of at a daycare. The kids seemed to be happy but it still seemed a little mellow. I was not judging though because I was only there for 30 minutes and they obviously have a long day. It just seemed a little too free flow.
I also considered Carlsbad Country Day School but didn't even tour because it was too much $$.
Lastly I went to Aspirations which is where he will go! I had passed it before but Eric's co worker's daughter has gone there since she was an infant and they have been very happy there. It took me 2 weeks just to get a tour of the place and there were 4 OTHER families there as well on the tour. It initially felt like it was a business (I mean, I know they are all in it for money, but this place seemed crazy). After going on the tour I was impressed with how neat and clean it was and the children seemed to be having a blast over on the toddler side. I really liked the learning philosophy compared to a regular play based daycare or a Montessori philosophy. So, this is where our little Ethan James will be going to "school". I like the low ration 1:6 (his class will have 2:12). I have a few months to prepare, but I really think he will thrive and be a happy kid! My biggest concern is napping. How do 12 children nap in the same room right next to each other?????
Philosophy: The city of Reggio Emilia in Italy is recognized worldwide for its innovative approach to education. Its signature educational philosophy has become known as the Reggio Emilia Approach, one which many preschool programs around the world have adopted. The Reggio Emilia philosophy is based upon the following set of principles:
Children must have some control over the direction of their learning;
Children must be able to learn through experiences of touching, moving, listening, seeing, and hearing;
Children have a relationship with other children and with material items in the world that children must be allowed to explore and
Children must have endless ways and opportunities to express themselves.
The Reggio Emilia approach to teaching young children puts the natural development of children as well as the close relationships that they share with their environment at the center of its philosophy. Early childhood programs that have successfully adapted to this educational philosophy share that they are attracted to Reggio because of the way it views and respects the child.
Parents are a vital component to the Reggio Emilia philosophy. Parents are viewed as partners, collaborators and advocates for their children. Teachers respect parents as each child's first teacher and involve parents in every aspect of the curriculum. It is not uncommon to see parents volunteering within Reggio Emilia classrooms throughout the school. This philosophy does not end when the child leaves the classroom. Most parents who choose to send their children to a Reggio Emilia program incorporate many of the principles within their parenting and home life. Even with this bridge between school and home, many people wonder what happens to Reggio children when they make the transition from this style of education to a non Reggio Emilia school. The answer is that there is some adjustment that must take place. In most school environments, intellectual curiosity is rewarded, so students continue to reap the benefits of Reggio after they've left the program.
Source
Here's a picture of Ethan because if you've made it this far you deserve a picture.




1 comment:
You absolutely did the right thing: checking out many options & following your Mama Super Power Instinct. Good luck! I know it will all work out for your family! XXOO
Post a Comment